STEP 4: LET’S GO SEE SOME HOMES!
Before we head out to view the properties you found on the MLS, there are a few important things to keep in mind. Firstly, make sure you have all your documents ready, such as proof of funds or pre-approval letters. Secondly, remember that it’s important to take notes and photos during each showing so you can compare them afterwards. Finally, be sure to ask questions and get as much information as possible from the listing agent about each property. Now let’s go check out those homes!
- Most sellers prefer that you are pre-approved before being able to see their home. Otherwise you can miss out if it’s popular.
- Scheduling is generally done online by your agent. There may be some limitations on showings such as no showings after 8pm or on certain days, etc.
- Wear comfortable shoes, (slip-ons are convenient), as we may be asked to remove our shoes in some homes.
- Doing showings in daylight can help you see the property better and let you know how much light the home gets.
- Have appropriate clothing for the weather. You may encounter ice, snow, mud, heat. And some houses may not have utilities turned on.
- It is important to focus on the home itself and not the Seller’s personal stuff… furnishings, artwork, paint color as you’re buying the property not their possessions or style.
- It’s best not to touch anything if you can help it.
- Children should not play with the toys and things they see in the house.
- AFTER a contract is agreed upon and signed by both the buyer and seller we will do a home inspection, therefore at a showing we would not look in the crawl spaces, attic, etc.
- Sellers may have Nanny Cams in their homes so be aware of what you say and do. Do not talk about the price, details of an offer, or strategies while in the home as someone may be listening.
- Generally the Sellers will not be present, but if they are it’s best not to discuss any details of a potential offer.
- Snacks and drinks are encouraged if we are seeing a lot of homes.
Generally, we give you a larger list of properties and have you select your 5-10 favorites to go see. Seeing homes is the absolute best way to learn value in the market.
The day before we are scheduled to look at homes, we will email you an address of where we are meeting and when. If you prefer we pick you up and drive you, that’s perfectly fine, just let us know at least one day in advance.
Now let’s go see some homes!